Thursday, 30 July 2009

People Search Results adds a :80 Suffix to results on an External Facing Site

Had an issue where doing a People Search by connecting to my external facing SharePoint site via ISA Server 2006 on say was returning People search results suffixed with a ":80" so for example People Search results done externally for a particular person would return something like: etc which does not resolve externally

Internally everything is fine so browsing to http://intranet and performing a People Search returns the correct URL for a person as http://mysite/person.aspx?guid=08AE56 etc which is correct

AAM Settings are:

Intranet Web Application

Default Zone: http://intranet

Extranet Zone:

MySite Web Application

Default Zone: http://mysite

Extranet Zone:

This could be caused by using the same web application for both port 80 and 443 access and tests showed that this was not caused by ISA 2006 but I managed to resolve this on the external side by adding a Link Translation mapping in my ISA Server Extranet publishing rule that maps to

This works fine but in environments where ISA is not used it may be prudent to extend the Web App so that you have a dedicated SSL web application which may solve the issue (haven't tested this but a colleague has this scenario and doesn't have the problem.

Alternatively, I also found the following article which resolves the issue by editing the People Search Core Results Web Part and the Search High Confidence Results Web Part.

Monday, 27 July 2009

NLB IP Address does not appear in IIS on Windows 2008

Had an interesting issue as follows - I configured Windows Network Load Balancing (NLB) on my 2 SharePoint 2007 Web Front End Servers on Windows Server 2008 SP2 64Bit and then proceeded to assign IP addresses to my Main Portal Web Application and the MySite Web Application (both web apps are on port 80 so using IP addresses to distinguish them apart rather than host headers). The weird thing is that unlike Windows 2003 NLB in Windows 2008 your load balanced Virtual IP does not appear in the list of IP addresses you can bind to the web application. Looking around on various forums it seems that this is some kind of a bug on Server 2008. A workaround for now which I used is to manually type in the Load balanced IP address in IIS when selecting from a list of IP addresses to bind to the web application.

As you can see in the example below the is my load balanced address but does not appear in the list of IP Addresses in the drop down list so I have typed it in manually and this works: