Monday, 20 October 2008
After configuring incoming mail settings on a MOSS farm I started to get an unspecified SMTP error when I tried changing SMTP settings from within IIS Manager. Further investigation revealed that the issue was caused by my applying the hotfix (KB946517) to resolve Event ID 6398, 7076 and 6432 errors.
The problem is described in detail here on the MSDN blog http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2008/04/14/issue-smtp-configuration-unspecified-error.aspx
and the subsequent Microsoft Knowledgebase article is here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/KB/950426
A hotfix is now available from Microsoft which resolves this issue.
Sunday, 12 October 2008
Clicking on a user clickable link does not redirect to the Person.aspx page but stays on the Userdisp.aspx page instead
There are a number of thoughts on why this happens and each of these are published around the web ranging from the redirect getting confused by AAM settings to a bug where your portal FQDN and your MySites FQDN do not share the same root URL (e.g http://intranet/ and http://mysite/). I have tested this and found this problem does not occur if for example you have the following URL's http://intranet/ and http://intranet:8088/ being the MySite URL. This would seem to support the "Same Root URL" theory.
They way this was resolved by myself and my colleague Ajay Chauhan (http://sharepointetcetera.blogspot.com/) who was working on this particular project with me was to set up a Portal Site Connection on the Site Collection(s) that have this problem and the MySite host. Now this isn't ideal but we specified the name of the connection as a full stop to make it as inconspicuous as possible to users (as shown below). This full stop does appear in the breadcrumb trail on the top left hand of pages though.
Looking around I believe this may be resolved in SP2.
More details can be found in this blog by Larry Kuhn http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/LKuhn/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=47
Monday, 22 September 2008
Problem: When you delete a site you don’t get a link to go back to the parent site (in fact no links at all)
Thursday, 3 July 2008
An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of SiteName (xx)\Content-DB 1 (SQLServerName\SQLInstanceName\DatabaseName). A network connection to the server could not be established.
The error occurs if you use Parentheses () in your web application names. Further details are provided in the following article: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294620.htm
In other words if you have a Web Application called “SharePoint (MySite)” and one called “SharePoint (Portal)”. Backup exec will not back this up.
Symantec claim this issue is fixed with the release of version 12.5 of Backup Exec.
Wednesday, 2 July 2008
Just been reading through the SDPS Deployment and Customisation Plan and picked up on the following stuff. Just wondered how many people are doing this already? I always make the SSP service and SSP App Pool identity separate accounts and was not aware of disabling NetBios over TCP/IP on WFE’s and Index Servers.
- SSP App Pool Identity and Service account recommended to be the same account
- NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT ) support should be disabled on all network cards on the Web Front End and Index servers.
- Avoid more than eight Application Pools per farm
Wednesday, 9 April 2008
Going into Page Settings from Page Editing Toolbar on a restored site collection using Collaboration Portal template gives "Unexpected Error"
The fix I implemented was using one of Gary Lapointes enhanced STSADM Extensions command http://stsadm.blogspot.com/2007/08/stsadm-commands_09.html:
stsadm -o fixpublishingpagespagelayouturl