Thursday 25 June 2009

Access Denied messages when performing an Index Crawl and Event 2436 Warnings

Had an issue recently where I could not Crawl a SharePoint site after setting off a full crawl of my default content source and was receiving the following message "Access is denied. Check that the Default Content Access Account has access to this content, or add a crawl rule to crawl this content."

I was also getting Warnings with Event ID 2436 stating that Access was Denied.

I discovered that this was down to the Loopback problem described in KB896861 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861 and was caused by the site URL not having the NetBIOS name of my SharePoint server, e.g. my server was called MOSS01 but I was trying to crawl my site collection at http://portal.domain.com

I followed the instructions for "Method 1" in the article which are as follows:

To specify the host names that are mapped to the loopback address and can connect to Web sites on your computer, follow these steps:

  1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0
  3. Right-click MSV1_0, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.
  4. Type BackConnectionHostNames, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click BackConnectionHostNames, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type the host name or the host names for the sites that are on the local computer, and then click OK.
  7. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the IISAdmin service.

I started another full crawl after an IISRESET but still received the same errors. I eventually resolved it by resetting all crawled content from the SSP Administration pages as follows:

SSP > Search Administration > Reset all crawled content

This allowed me to perform a full crawl without any errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment